Enhanced Care and CVFP Outcomes
Enhanced Care through Patient Based Funding and Multidisciplinary Teams
Crowfoot Village Family Practice is a progressive multidisciplinary group that uses a Patient Based Funding model to deliver primary health care in northwest Calgary. Our comprehensive care model was developed in 1999 as a special initiative led by the Crowfoot Village Family Practice doctors. Working with Alberta Health Services (former Calgary Health Region), the Alberta Medical Associate and Alberta Health and Wellness, the Crowfoot Practice has moved to a model that includes all major components of primary care reform recommended by the Romanow and Mazankoski reports. These include:
- An Electronic Medical Record
- A multidisciplinary health team with a strong role for nursing staff
- 24/7 access to health services
- Measurement of health outcomes
- An alternate payment method
How does the funding model work?
- In contrast to the traditional Fee for Service (FFS), our practice is provided with a monthly payment for each registered patient (based on age and sex).
- Enrollment process which formalizes the relationship between patient and provider
- The team is enhanced by a number of co-located AHS zonal and primary care network professionals.
- Emphasis access and patient centred care
- We are able to ensure that patients are seen by the most:
- appropriate multidisciplinary team member, working to full scope of practice, for the
- appropriate service, whether that be by phone or by fax, email, individual visit, or group session at the
- appropriate time
Increased Access: the average panel size (patients per physician) at CVFP is 1700 patients as compared to 1200 in a traditional FFS model. In 2013 we participated in AIM (Alberta Access Improvement measurement) and now offer same day access for patient appointments. In addition, our patients have access to the team of professionals, not just the family physician. CVFP physicians provide more than one service per visit which results in fewer patient appointments overall.
Physician Recruitment: Between 2010 - 2013 we recruited 6 new physicians to our team, this has increased our capacity by 45% and we are now approaching 25,000 patients including 8000 previously unattached patients. We currently have 16 family physicians practicing at CVFP.
Improved Clinical Outcomes: A 2009 study conducted by the Health Quality Council of Alberta demonstrated the proportion of services provided by outside visits decreased from 21% to 8% suggesting better 24/7 coverage of patient issues and greater continuity of care.
More recently we have worked in partnership with the Calgary Foothills PCN and the Health Quality Council of Alberta to extract data which compares our practice (physician panel) to physicians within the CFPCN and the AHS Calgary Zone and the results speak for themselves:
The report demonstrated marked similarities in age and gender, according to the HQCA the 2011-12 Alberta population is 48% female and 52% male, and the average age is 38.6 years old:
Most importantly the report data demonstrates Crowfoot Village Family Practice model results in significant Reduction in Cost to the Healthcare System:
1. 14% fewer annual GP office visits than patients within the AHS Calgary Zone.
2. 2.33% fewer ED visits than patients within the AHS Calgary Zone
3. Average length of stay when admitted to hospital is 29% shorter than patients within the AHS Calgary Zone.
The Patient Based Funding model has enabled us to achieve superior clinical outcomes, significant cost efficiencies and team based care. We feel all Albertans would benefit from having access to care through a patient based funding model that incents team based care, superior clinical outcomes, access to care and acute care savings.
Are you a Patient?
Ask a question or
request an appointment online.
Would you like to be a CVFP Patient?
We are not currently accepting new patients but you can join our wait-list now and we will contact you when a space becomes available!SIGN UP
Address: Suite 210,
600 Crowfoot Crescent NW
Calgary, Alberta T3G 0B4
Office Hours:Monday to Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
11:50 to 12:50 pm closed for lunch